Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Heralds pass first hurdle

Figured I'd update about my Khemri team.
I just had my first finals game last night. After being shafted from 2nd place due to scoring less touchdowns (same differential, just less overall), I have to fight my way to the very top (Being in 2nd place, would allow for me to if I won, had a week off, if lost, a 2nd chance).

So the first game and possibly the last of the season for me, was up against a Chaos team from the other conference (our league was split into two conferences of 11 players each. Everyone played everyone else, and on the bye match, the players from each conference who had a bye played each other). Things were looking good right from the start, after he received and grabbed the ball and caged up a bit, his Minotaur (with Claws) tried to have a go at one of my Mummies. Unfortunately for the poor fella, it was a Blizzard. After pushinjg my Mummy back, the Minotaur fell on his face in the icy conditions.

That being done, I went about smacking his team backwards. Keeping a constant eye on the minotaur (always enough guard and strength around him so if he blitzed, it'd be 2 dice against, or if he got up, I'd just knock him back down). I did in fact punch the minotaur with a skeleton, but with a push and a double down... I took the both down hoping I might be able to take him out early. Unfortunately, the Minotaur gored a Skeleton who regenerated the harsh wounds. I eventually managed to pummel him enough and surged through to snatch the ball and drive for a touchdown. Things were looking up, as I could foresee a 2-1 victory happening rather than a 1-1 tie with sudden death overtime.

After the setup, strangely I thought he caged up a little further back. I ran a few guys along the side to herd him towards the centre. A chance happens, and I get a hole in his lines and send 2 guys onto the ball carrier (unfortunately, I wanted to blitz him then and there, but a Chaos Warrior refused to go down to open my path). I sent 2 guys up within distance of scoring a touchdown, and sat back. Unfortunately for the chaos, the turn ended when the ball carrier tried to dodge away and fell on his face. I scooped up the ball, handed off, and with a go for it had a 2 touchdown lead going into the 2nd half, and receiving to boot!

The 2nd half saw me smacking the Chaos back a little bit, then fumbling the ball. I managed to pick it up, and went towards the left side of the pitch to cage up (As the Chaos were busy pushing a mummy around, I figured I could go off to one side and hold off 3 of his guys). A little bit of a scrum happened, and I decided with most of his guys in one place, and Chaos not being super fast movers I'd make a run for it with my Thro-Ra. He got out of Blitz range, but a Chaos Warrior was right on his tail. Lucky for me, his blocking actually freed up a Blitz-Ra to get down there to assist, so the Thro-Ra just blitzed the Chaos Warrior down and run in for the touchdown.

Can't remember much of the last few turns. Minotaur ran along the sidelines to keep a Skeleton and Blitz-Ra busy. My Thro-Ra went in to try and turn over the ball and knocked the ball carrier down. However, the next beastman just grabbed the ball and ran into my half. With the Blitz-Ra on that half occupied by the Minotaur, I couldn't manage to stop the Beastman trotting in to get a touchdown.

So game end, final score 3-1. Casualties 2-2. Unfortunately for me, I had 3 guys ready for skill up and only one skilled up (Got a casualty which was good, but then stole the MVP to boot). So frustratingly enough, I'll be going into the 2nd round of the finals with pretty much the same team.

Still first hurdle down, just 3 more to go. If I win the next game, I'll be where I was last year (which was only top 4 for finals). Let's hope I can go all the way to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment