Monday, July 27, 2009

Eucbowl 2009

So, it's now Monday. The day after my very first Eucbowl. Just to say it up front, it was pretty good overall. I took my Khemri team, which I didn't manage to get finished. My new target is to get them all done before Southern Shrike Bowl 2009 at the end of August.

Basically, I went in on the Friday. I landed in Sydney around 2:30pm, and managed to find my way around due to Googlemaps and the CityRail website. So with a few quick train rides, I'd made it to Burwood where the tournament was taking place and I was staying. At around 4:30, I headed back into the central city to see the Sydney Go Club. Played a few games of Go, one against David whom I had met at the Ballina Go Camp earlier this year before returning back to Burwood and hitting the bed.

Saturday was day 1, and everything was going pretty decent for me then. I managed to scrum in a tie (2-2) a win (2-0) and another tie (1-1). The first game I think was the best game I had all tournament, possibly ever. Was a very tight game, with me getting both my touchdowns at the end of both halves to tie the game. So at the end of day 1, I believe I was sitting around 16th out of 54.

Sunday however wasn't so great. I had a good game first up, ending in a 1-1 tie. However the 2nd game my team got absolutely mauled. Most of my guys ended up in the casualty bin or the knock out box. I can't say my opponent was a bad opponent, it's just the way it happened. His dice were just on fire, and I couldn't do much to stop him. I think it ended up about 3-0 in his favour. Last match was against a guy I know from South Australia. We grudge matched each other just to have a nice last game. I managed to stop his Dwarven cage in the first half, was doing fairly well. In the 2nd half though, he managed to get the numbers up on me and a ill-timed skull on a Mummy left my ball carrier open. A dwarf managed to run through and grab the winning touchdown.

Unfortunately, with the results of day 2 I ended up down at 39th out of 54. I think perhaps the fact I didn't have a fully painted team let me down somewhat (As I don't really know otherwise why I got such low scores in the last few games). I'm thinking next year I'll take a painted team just to make sure I do the best I can in the tournament without having a handicap on me from the start (As a similar thing happened in my first Warhammer tournament, where I got a Zero for painting because not every single unit of mine was painted).

But yeah, overall I enjoyed myself. The only game I didn't really enjoy was the mauling, and again, I don't fault my opponent. It's just not terribly fun when you're getting absolutely smashed, and you can't do anything about it.

As for next year. Not sure what I'll take. I've been musing about what to run in 2010 now that I'm heading into the 2nd half of the year. I don't have a 'fun' team in my collection nor a flair team (Elves pretty much). I think it may depend on what pepole are thinking for season 4 of the CCKUP (Adelaide league) as to what I take as I was thinking Elves of some sort this season before a whole bunch of them showed up. I think at this point, 2010 may be the 'fun' team year with either Vampires or a stunty team. That'll leave 2011 to be the year of the Elf (or maybe Amazon). Anything could of course change, I was intending to run Norse rather than Khemri at an earlier point, but found a few Mummies which changed things around.

No comments:

Post a Comment