Monday, July 6, 2009

Progress

So, unfortunately no pictures. I did a fair amount of work over the week end on various projects. But didn't want to move them around too much, as most of the time greenstuff was setting so I wouldn't want to ruin my work with fingerprints (or more fingerprints... dunno how careful I've really been).

First off, I achieved pretty much what I wanted too over the weekend for my Khemri team. At the moment, everything apart from the Thro-Ra's are fully assembled, all green stuff work complete. I've got 1 Thro-Ra almost done as well, just a little bit more work and he'll be fully aseembeld as well (Basically I have to glue him together, and greenstuff any parts that don't look right due to positioning of limbs). So basically painting time for the team, and I'm on progress to get them done before Eucbowl.

Dogs of War hit a slightly slow point. I did lots of work on my Dogs of War! Just only on one figure. So my assembled range isn't expanding at all. This could be a problem, as I want to paint my Dogs of War for this years "Tale of Fantasy Painters" run on the Warseer forums. Last year, I didn't complete my Empire and I think part of the reason is once I got through the simple stuff (little to no conversion work) I was having to convert and paint at the same time, which just didn't sit well. Luckily I do intend to include a few Regiments of Renown in my army which bump up the costs of even rank and file models.
Anyway, basically on the weekend I did more work on my Mercenary Captain. I personally feel that he doesn't look special enough when you looked at him. Even with a cape I was a little doubtful, still, I have progressed on. Basically I put some plate greaves on him, which helped a bit. But what really helped, was the cape. I'm still working on it, but just having something that looks like a cape behind him really adds to the model I feel. It's exciting to see how the model looks, and I really want to post images of him (But restrained myself as I didn't want to ruin the greenstuff work). I will try and get a picture of him up sometime during the week.

Lastly, something I've wanted to try for a while. I like the fluff and look of Grey Knight Space Marines. Always thought they looked cool. Same for Sisters of Battle really, but that's another story. However, they're expensive. Damn expensive. So I've always wanted to try converting them from plastic space marines. However, regular Marines don't have the arms for it (Holding bolter arms aren't exactly dynamic and would require a lot of work). Enter bits services, I bought a whole lot of assault marine arms (And various other space marine things) cause I was thinking about rebooting my Blood Angels. But at the same time, Assault Marine arms are perfect conversion points as well for Grey Knights.
A while back I tried to make a Grey Knight Terminator from an Assault on Black Reach Terminator. It turned out alright, I don't think the arms are dynamic enough though for Grey Knights. One thing that was difficult to get right though, was the shoulderpad since it has that medieval kind've looking shoulderpads (With the raised section on the pad nearest to the body). I got an interesting idea on how to do that simply and figured I'd give it a shot.

Personally I think it's turning out well so far. It's a bit messy in places, as I'm doing it as a prototype but I think it's coming along really well. The legs are done, the chest is nearly done (gotta finish the Book and sword symbol). Left shoulderpad, same deal with the symbol. Right shoulderpad I haven't started on yet. Force weapon and the Storm Bolter arm I've bother started but have to finish. Then finally, gotta add purity seals to the extreme of course.
It won't have all the cool inscriptions and stuff on the armour, but I think it will still look pretty nice and won't cost me a fortune if I decide to do this on a full scale army kind've effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment